Friday 2 November 2012

Thank Dux that's finished OR Dux me, that was boring.


  
I've spent the last couple of days thoroughly miserable, stuck, as I was, on an interminable course for work.  Sixteen hours or touchey-feeley nonsense "Lets discuss what kind of things a motivated team will say to each other" lead by a completely awful trainer "I know I talk too much, but that's why we're all here, to TALK!"  News flash sweetheart!  If you're always told you talk too much, why not try holding your tongue once in a while you gobby tart.

The journey home was hampered still by missing our planned train, leaving me stuck in wet Glasgow for a further ninety minutes.  I took the chance to head to one of city's wargame shops (name not mentioned due to the staff being god awful) for a wander.  Arriving, I asked if they were still open, only to get a grunt and a "you've got three minutes mate" reply.  Feeling guilty about buying any more miniatures, I headed to the rulebook/RPG isle.

Ten minutes later (I decided to wander around until they asked me to go,) I bought up a copy of Dux Britannarium by Two Fat Lardies.  I've fancied doing some dark age gaming for a wee while, playing a few games of Saga and I enjoyed watching games of both Dux games at the club.  Although I got to flick through the book on the train home, but have yet to get to grips with the mechanics themselves. The campaign rules look excellent though.  I think I'll try and chum up an intro game at the club over the next couple weeks, there are a few Romano-Brit and Pict armies kicking about.

7 comments:

  1. What a crap day that sounds like - although I always insist on trust exercises with allied players before every game ;)

    Dux Britnnarium is one I've wanted to get hold of for a while, looking forward to seeing how you get on with it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On second reading, the campaign rules sound excellent, although I'm concerned about the actual fighting rules being a bit too simple.

      Delete
  2. Oh I always hated 'team building exercises' and all such stuff. At least you had 3 good minutes ;) I recently picked up these rules and the cards, too and while I haven't completely digested them yet, they are looking very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I love visiting different wargame stores when I'm away with work. There's absolutely nothing (aside from a GW) near me.

      Delete
  3. We always need a treat after dealing with "gobby tarts":D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll look forward to some Dark age figs appearing soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some just turned up in the post. Although buying them is the easy part!

      Delete