Saturday 5 January 2013

Found My Kickstarter? Beyond the Gates of Antares



A Kickstarter has appeared for Beyond the Gates of Antares (GoA,) A sci-fi, army level game penned by the esteemed Rick Priestly.  I mentioned earlier that I wanted to get involved in a Kickstarter, if only to say that I had done so.  Nothing out there is really grabbing my attention, but there looks to be a lot of potential for GoA.

There are three essentials that any sci-fi game need to nail down; miniatures, background material and rules.  Oddly, GoA hasn't really touched any of these yet.  They've put up a few concept pictures up, but not much else.  The rules are touched on, basically D10 based, but again no real detail.  Lastly, beyond the phrase "hard sci-fi" the background material isn't covered at all!


The big sell for Gates of Antares is that the developers want input into, well, basically everything in the game.  Sounds like my kind of thing.  The big risk is that, much like western democracy, most of the people can be wrong and, in this case, the game swings wildly in a direction I'm not keen on.  Still, I think the names and companies involved will manage to avoid anything too ridiculous.

As long as they drop the cat people.

So I've found my Kickstarter, pledging a "modest" amount for whatever the box set eventually looks like.  The delivery date is the end of the year, but that's so vague that it could well be earlier or later.  Still, check one for my resolutions for this year (admittedly, the easiest one and one that only involved spending money!)


Check out the Kickstarter page here, as well as the Dark Space Corps page here and an interview with Priestly on Bell of Lost Souls.

4 comments:

  1. Good luck my friend, still haven't dipped my toes with kickstarter....yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I've waited a fair bit of time before this one. Don't think I'll do more than one at a time, but you never know!

      Delete
  2. I've done two Kickstarters and both were fantastic. Stonehaven Dwarves and Fanticide. I got everything on time and my only regret was that I didn't buy more add-ons. Darwin Games is doing Rise of The Occulites sometime this month and I want in on that one.

    I hope this one gets funded and that it's a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your kind of experience is why I've gone for a Kickstarter project; I've heard almost nothing but good things about the process. Plus, I love the drip fed style of updates involved.

      Delete