Wednesday 30 January 2013

No School Like the Old School - Battletech



A chance conversation last week resulted in us breaking out Battletech this week for a quick game (well, quick for Battletech!)  One lance of four Mechs per side and, although no Mechs were destroyed, my lance certainly had the upper hand in dishing out the damage.

Got to say that I had an absolute blast playing this.  It reminds me that I enjoy complex games and I was surprised how quickly the "to hit" modifiers came to mind without endlessly checking the rulebook.  Never destined to return to the regular game rotation, I'm sure we'll get this to the table again soon.

Oh, and a quick word about gaming etiquette.  If you're not playing in a game, either keep relatively quiet or bugger off and stand somewhere else.  You know who you are!

7 comments:

  1. I have never played Battletech but I have always wanted to. How much stuff do need to play?

    Thanks Ben

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you look up the 25th anniversary box, that has EVERYTHING you need to keep you playing with plenty of variety. Alternatively, get one of the 90s boxes of ebay with cardboard Mechs and paper hexes - even cheaper!

      Delete
  2. I used to play the early version (not the more recent editions) and had a real blast. The map sheets really bring it back to mind

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After a couple turns, the rules came flooding back.

      Delete
  3. Gaming etiquette, tell them to bugger off!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started playing Mechwarrior on the PC recently - its more addictive than crack cocaine! Talk about 'just one more go'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like the gaming etiquette quip!

    ReplyDelete